Naxal commander killed in encounter in Chhattisgarh
Rajnandgaon: A naxal commander, who was carrying a reward of Rs 2.10 lakh on his head, was killed in a fierce gun-battle with the security personnel in Rajnandgaon district of Chhattisgarh this afternoon, police said.
"The face-off between the naxals and joint contingent of district police and Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) took place in the forests of Bukmarka Pahadi area under Manpur police station limits (over 100 kms from Rajnandgaon town) today afternoon," Rajnandgaon Superintendent of Police Sanjeev Shukla told PTI.
"The killed naxalite has been identified as Udham Singh, Commander of Mohla LOS (Local Operating Squad) and secretary of Mohla Manpur area committee of Maoists," the SP said, adding, he was carrying a reward of Rs 2.10 lakh on his head.
According to the officer, the patrol party was on a combing operation from the last few days in the border region of Chhattisagarh and Maharashtra.
In the afternoon, on seeing the patrol party in Bukmarka Pahadi, ultras started firing indiscriminately at them. The search party retaliated and in the ensuing gunfight that lasted for nearly two hours the naxal commander was killed, the SP said.
"Two more naxals had received bullet injuries, but owing to the heavy rains, the ultras managed to take them to the core forest region. However, the commander`s body was recovered," the SP said.
Police also recovered one SLR, one Insas rifle, two 12 bore guns, one 315 bore katta (country-made pistol), live cartridges of SLR and other rifles and a couple of detonators, the SP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!