Naxal threat: Choppers to ferry election staff in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: With Naxal threat looming over the Assembly polls in the state, the Election Commission is planning to use helicopters to ferry electronic voting machines and the polling booth staff to far-flung areas of south Chhattisgarh during the first phase of elections.
"So far we have decided to airlift polling parties (polling booth staff) at 339 booths. It may vary according to the availability of the choppers," Deputy Chief Electoral Officer Alex Paul Menon said here.
Menon did not reveal the number of helicopters the State Election Commission has sought from the Air Force for this purpose.
143 candidates are in the fray in the first phase of polls, to be held on November 11 across eighteen constituencies in the Naxal-affected Bastar division and Rajnandgaon district. A total of 4,142 polling booths have been set up in the area.
Sources said about 15 helicopters have been requisitioned from the Air Force as of now. The purpose is to ensure the staff`s safety, in the face of Maoist threat.
The ultras had targeted the polling personnel during the previous Assembly elections. High security would be provided to helipads in the Maoist heartland, as Intelligence Bureau has tipped off that rebels may attack the choppers during take-off and landing, sources said.
As many as 167 polling stations in Bastar region are being relocated due to "security and accessibility reasons".
Centre has sent 40,000 personnel of paramilitary forces, in addition to the existing forces in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'