Naxalites blow up rail track in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Suspected Naxalites blew up portion of a railway track on Kirandul- Visakhapatnam section here, affecting transportation of iron ore from the mines in Chhattisgarh, police said on Monday.
According to police, a group of armed Naxalites came to Bhansi railway station last night, which is about 10 km from Dantewada district headquarter, held the rail staff captive and then damaged a railway engine parked at the station, police said.
Asking railway officials to stop plying trains in this section during the night, the rebels blew up a portion of the track. However, the damage only came to light this morning.
Due to the damaged track, iron ore from the National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC) could not be transported throughout the day, railway officials said adding that the restoration work had been undertaken.
They added that traffic on the section is likely to be restored late tonight.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah