Naxals kill police jawan in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: A police jawan was allegedly kidnapped and killed on Thursday by naxals in Maoist-hit Bijapur district of Chhattisgarh, police said.
Assistant Constable Rup Singh Thakur (35), abducted last evening, was found dead in Matda village this morning, Bijapur Deputy Superintendent of Police Sukhnandan Rathore said.
The jawan posted at Jangla police station limits was kidnapped by ultras while he was returning from his duty. After getting the information of the incident, security forces were rushed to the spot to retrieve the victim`s body, he said.
Prima facie it appears he was beaten to death, he said, adding, exact cause behind his death will be known after postmortem.
Thakur was earlier special police officer (SPO) during Salwa Judum movement and later appointed as assistant constable.
After Supreme Court rapped the Chhattisgarh government for recruiting tribal youths as Special Police Officers (SPOs) during the Salwa Judum days, it recruited SPOs as assistant constables.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth