Naxals loot tonnes of explosives
Raipur: Naxals have hijacked a truck carrying a whopping 16.5 tonnes of high-grade ammonium nitrate explosive which was on its way here from Vishakapatnam in
Police have launched an operation to track the explosive which was looted yesterday by the Maoists.
Official sources said the truck carrying the large quantity of ammonium nitrate, which is used as high nitrogen fertiliser as well as for making explosives, was hijacked by the Naxals in Bastar region of the state, an area hit by Left-wing extremists.
They said the truck was on its way to Raipur from Vishakapatnam to deliver the consignment to a factory. The route through Bastar is the shortest one to reach Raipur from Vishakapatnam. The truck was not accompanied by any security guards.
The incident came to light when the truck driver was released last night, Bastar SP P Sundarraj said.
After questioning the driver, a search was immediately launched for the explosives, but no headway has been made so far, the police officer said.
Following the hijack, a high alert has been sounded in
Ammonium Nitrate is used by Naxals for making
improvised explosive devices which have claimed the lives of
large number of security personnel.
The ultras had looted a detonator-laden truck in the
same area a few months ago. The detonators are yet to be
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says