Naxals’ major attack on NMDC mines in Dantewada
Raipur: Over 200 Naxals launched an
attack on the NMDC mines area in Dantewada and unsuccessfully
attempted to kidnap CISF jawans posted at the facility.
Official sources here said that at around 11:00 last
night, the Naxals armed with light machine guns and AK47s,
attacked the mines area in Kirandul.
Outnumbered, the few CISF personnel present fought
back but however three jawans were caught and were almost tied
up by the Naxals.
A Quick Reaction Team (QRT) led by a young Assistant
Commandant, present about two kilometres from the spot, swung
into action as soon as it received news about the attack.
The team launched a counter attack and moved in firing
flair bombs resulting in the naxals melting into the jungles
and leaving the paramilitary jawans.
Sources said the aim of the Naxals seemed to have been
to burn the trucks used by the mining firm and to stop work in
Dantewada is a major naxal hotspot as many attacks on
security forces have taken place here, including the April six
massacre of 75 CRPF men and a state police personnel in an
ambush by Maoists in the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?