Naxals were looking for Patel, Karma: Eyewitness
Raipur: A Congress leader, who was with former Union Minister Vidyacharan Shukla during the Naxal attack in Chhattisgarh yesterday, on Sunday claimed the ambush specifically targeted state Congress chief Nand Kumar Patel and senior leader Mahendra Karma both of whom died.
"Both Patel and Karma were the target of Naxals," said Daulat Rohra, Congress leader and a close aide of Shukla, here. Shukla himself is critically injured and being treated in a hospital in Gurgaon.
Rohra, who was travelling in an SUV with Shukla and his Personal Security Officer Praphulla Sharma, said Naxals had already opened fire when the convoy of Congress leaders reached Jiram valley at about 4 pm. Shukla told others, including the driver, to crouch but he himself was hit by four bullets.
"Suddenly, firing stopped and ultras approached the vehicles asking for Nand Kumar Patel and Mahendra Karma," Rohra said.
"They started searching every vehicle, calling out the names of Patel and Karma, asking them to step out", he added.
At this point, former MLA Uday Mudaliyar and several other leaders and policemen were killed in gunfire.
"One by one, they dragged everyone out of the vehicles.
One group of Naxals took away Patel, his son Dinesh Patel and Dantewada MLA Kawasi Lakhma some distance into the jungle but they released Lakhma later.
They also started asking for Mahendra Karma`s son but when Karma himself came out of group and revealed his identity they took him aside and shot him dead, pumping in about 50 rounds, according to Rohra.
Afterwards, Naxals fled into forests shouting the slogan `Lal Salaam`, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow