NCW team visits school to probe sex assault of minor inmates
Raipur: A two-member team of the National Commission for Women (NCW) visited the government-run residential school at Chhattisgarh`s Kanker district on Thursday, for an on-the-spot investigation into the alleged sexual assault of minor inmates.
The incident of sexual assault on minor inmates of the government-run residential school for tribal girls in Jhaliyamari village of Kanker district came to light last Sunday.
The NCW team which comprised Shamina Shafiq, visited the village and met with victims and their family members. They also took stock of the investigation of the case.
Shafiq said the team has noted details of the incident. "We talked to the minors and their family members. The incident is very heinous and abominable," Shamina said.
She slammed the state government, alleging that several irregularities were noticed at Jhaliyamari`s hostel, though huge amounts of money were being allocated for running residential schools and tribal hostels.
"It is not a joke. Huge amounts of money are allocated for ashram schools and hostels. Despite this, the condition is pathetic here," she said.
After reaching to Delhi, the team will submit its report to NCW chairperson Mamta Sharma and further action will be taken, she said, refusing to divulge the details of their investigation.
On being asked about routine inspection in these hostels, she said a comprehensive approach is needed.
"Merely visiting these hostels for a day and asking children what they were facing will not serve anything. You have to be with them to know their problems," she said.
She was accompanied with NCW member Hemlata Kheria.
The member of National Commission for Scheduled Tribe K Kamla Kumari also visited the village yesterday and met the victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!