NCW team visits school to probe sex assault of minor inmates
Raipur: A two-member team of the National Commission for Women (NCW) visited the government-run residential school at Chhattisgarh`s Kanker district on Thursday, for an on-the-spot investigation into the alleged sexual assault of minor inmates.
The incident of sexual assault on minor inmates of the government-run residential school for tribal girls in Jhaliyamari village of Kanker district came to light last Sunday.
The NCW team which comprised Shamina Shafiq, visited the village and met with victims and their family members. They also took stock of the investigation of the case.
Shafiq said the team has noted details of the incident. "We talked to the minors and their family members. The incident is very heinous and abominable," Shamina said.
She slammed the state government, alleging that several irregularities were noticed at Jhaliyamari`s hostel, though huge amounts of money were being allocated for running residential schools and tribal hostels.
"It is not a joke. Huge amounts of money are allocated for ashram schools and hostels. Despite this, the condition is pathetic here," she said.
After reaching to Delhi, the team will submit its report to NCW chairperson Mamta Sharma and further action will be taken, she said, refusing to divulge the details of their investigation.
On being asked about routine inspection in these hostels, she said a comprehensive approach is needed.
"Merely visiting these hostels for a day and asking children what they were facing will not serve anything. You have to be with them to know their problems," she said.
She was accompanied with NCW member Hemlata Kheria.
The member of National Commission for Scheduled Tribe K Kamla Kumari also visited the village yesterday and met the victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof