NHRC notice to Chhattisgarh over assault on woman
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) Tuesday issued notice to Chhattisgarh over the assault of a 65-year-old woman suspected of practising witchcraft.
As per media reports, the woman was brutally beaten and her head tonsured after she was suspected of practising witchcraft by people of Korba district.
"We have taken suo motu cognizance of the report. If the contents are true, it amounts to serious violation of human rights of women," the NHRC said.
"Notice has been issued to the district magistrate and superintendent of police, Korba, calling for reports within two weeks."
The police superintendent has also been directed to inform whether any case has been registered in the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II