NHRC notice to Chhattisgarh over assault on woman
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) Tuesday issued notice to Chhattisgarh over the assault of a 65-year-old woman suspected of practising witchcraft.
As per media reports, the woman was brutally beaten and her head tonsured after she was suspected of practising witchcraft by people of Korba district.
"We have taken suo motu cognizance of the report. If the contents are true, it amounts to serious violation of human rights of women," the NHRC said.
"Notice has been issued to the district magistrate and superintendent of police, Korba, calling for reports within two weeks."
The police superintendent has also been directed to inform whether any case has been registered in the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!