Nine Maoists arrested in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Nine Maoist guerrillas have been arrested in Bastar region of Chhattisgarh, police said Friday.
The arrests were made late Thursday at Babri Kokaobhata and Chamai villages of Bastar, about 260 km south of state capital Raipur.
"The arrested people were active members of the banned Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist). We have recovered four pistols and Maoist literature from them," Superintendent of Police (Bastar) P. Sundaraj told reporters.
He said police were interrogating them for their alleged role in several killings and robberies in the area.
Police claim that the forested Bastar region spanning about 40,000 sq km is home to nearly 10,000 Maoist guerrillas, who have access to rocket launchers and mortars apart from smaller firearms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17