Nitin Gadkari’s aide in Chhattisgarh coal scam?
New Delhi: In what could be a major embarrassment for the Bhartiya Janata Party, its national president Nitin Gadkari’s aide has reportedly been named in an alleged coal scam in the state of Chattisgarh by the CAG.
As per reports, the Comptroller and Auditor General has accused the Raman Singh government of serious irregularities in the allocation of a coal block in Sarguja district. According to CAG reports this led to a huge loss to the state`s exchequer amounting to Rs 1,052 crore.
What is more worrying for the BJP is that Gadkari’s close aide, Ajay Sancheti and the party’s Rajya Sabha member has placed under the scanner in the said report. Sancheti became a BJP MP last month
The CAG report has stated that Sancheti`s firm SMS Infrastructure was favoured in terms of cost for the exploration contract given to it for Bhadgaon II Extension coal block. It has been said that the SMS Infrastructure was allotted a coal block by Chhattisgarh Mineral Development Corporation at a throwaway price in which it was the only bidder for it. It has been reported that the firm was allocated the coal block for around Rs 130 per metric ton, while the market price for that region was Rs 552 per metric ton.
The firm is owned by the BJP MP. The block was one of the two blocks that the Centre had allocated to CMDC in 2007. The CAG report was tabled in the Chhattisgarh Assembly last week.
The Opposition Congress in the state has predictably latched on to the new controversy and hit out at the BJP. Congress stepped up demand for the resignation of Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh in the wake of a CAG. At a joint press conference at the AICC headquarters, party General Secretary BK Hariprasad, Chhattisgarh PCC Chief Nand Kumar Patel and CLP leader Ravindra Chaubey said that they have also sought the permission of the state governor for prosecution of the CM as also a former chief secretary.
The state Congress leaders alleged that the mineral-rich state has become an "object of loot" through signing of MoUs for setting up power plants and claimed that 65 such MoUs
seeking an investment of Rs 3.25 lakh crore have been signed. The Chief Minister is "directly to blame" for the irregularities in the mining and power sectors as he is also
the Minister in charge of these departments, they said. Congress is pressing for a CBI probe into the allotment of coal blocks at cheap rates.
Meanwhile the BJP today said it "differed" from the conclusions arrived at by the CAG in the Chhattisgarh mining case involving its MP Ajay Sancheti and refuted Congress charges that party president Nitin Gadkari benefited from the alleged financial wrongdoings in the deal.
"We will not engage in the kind of campaign that the Congress is involved in. These allegations are baseless. We understand the worries of the Congress. They are involved in
so many scams. But they should also learn a little about how to read and write," BJP spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said.
He also maintained that the BJP differs from the conclusions drawn by the CAG in this matter. "Bhadgaon II Extension is an open cast mine where mining costs less. It is a part open and part underground mine. It is also near a river and so a wall has to be built to
work as a dam to keep out the water," Prasad said.
Asked if Sancheti and Gadkari were business partners, he replied in the negative. He hastened to add that a leader from any party can also be a businessman provided his dealings are transparent.
"Neither was Gadkari president then (in 2008 when the tender was alloted) nor was Sancheti an MP. Gadkari was BJP Maharashtra unit president. He became BJP President one and a half years later in 2010," Prasad said.
At a time when the BJP is in a belligerent mode at the Centre taking on the Congress-led-UPA for being embroiled in various scams, the timing of the latest storm is bad. The ‘party with a difference’ will have to get its act together if it wants to present a viable alternative to the Congress in the 2014 general elections.
For the BJP president, Nitin Gadkari too, it has been a bad few weeks with him being in the middle of the Jharkhand Rajya Sabha polls and the Anshuman Mishra fiasco also.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'