No govt scheme is corruption-free: Chhattisgarh Lokayukta
Raipur: No government scheme in the country is free from corruption, Chhattisgarh Lokayukta Justice LC Bhadu has said.
According to him, with the expansion of industries, resources and rapid financial growth, corruption too is on the rise in the country.
His remarks are part of the ninth annual report of the Chhattisgarh Public Commission which has been tabled in the state Assembly.
Bhadu has said that during 2011, a number of cases related to irregularities and misuse of official position at the Centre and in states came to light.
He said allegations of corruption were levelled in 2G spectrum allocation, organisation of Commonwealth Games, sanctioning of mining lease, land allotments and in implementation of rural employment scheme (MNREGA), among others.
It would not be an exaggeration to say that none of the government schemes these days are without corruption, Bhadu said in his report.
To curb the menace, anti-corruption agencies like Lokayukta have been set up in states but they are not effective for want of adequate resources and personnel.
He said the office of Lokayukta has failed to live up to its expectations and achieve its objectives.
He said according to the guidelines of the Lokayukta Act, action should be taken against an errant officer within three months. But this does not happen often, as action is taken by the officials of the concerned department only and in the process, they rather try to shield the corrupt official rather than punish him.
He said in view of the lacunae in the current Lokpal Bill, the amendments are being made which would provide power to a Lokpal to award punishment to an errant officer after a probe in the case.
If an officer is found guilty of corruption, then it would be necessary to implement the order of the Lokayukta, failing which even that official would be liable for punishment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security