Notice to Amit Jogi on plea for quashing Marwahi Assembly poll
Bilaspur: The Chhattisgarh High Court has issued notice to Congress MLA Amit Jogi, the son of former Chief Minister Ajit Jogi, and eight other contestants from Marwahi Assembly constituency of Bilaspur district over a petition seeking to quash the election to the seat.
Sameera Paikra, BJP nominee from Marwahi seat, had sought to quash the election of Amit Jogi from the seat through a petition citing his citizenship and caste issue, besides allegations of violation of model code of conduct.
Sameera, Amit and eight other contestants were in fray from the seat which had gone to poll on November 19 in the second phase of state Assembly elections last year.
During initial hearing, Justice Printikar Diwakar yesterday served notice to Amit Jogi and eight other contestants, seeking their reply in this connection and posted the matter for further hearing on June 20, petitioner`s lawyer B P Gupta said.
In her petition, Paikra alleged that Amit Jogi has citizenship of two countries and despite that he contested the Assembly election which is against the norms, Gupta said.
The petitioner alleged that the caste certificate submitted by Jogi during filing of his nomination was not certified by an eligible officer. Moreover, his caste certification issue was already disputed but it was ignored during the scrutiny of nominations, Gupta said.
The petitioner also alleged that money and liquor was openly distributed during election to lure the voters, which is a clear violation of model code of conduct, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian youth severely addicted to toxic drugs
- Leonardo DiCaprio to speak about anti-beef movement at RSS meet in UK
- Bihar rape: Accused five persons still absconding, Police clueless
- UK's exit from EU: India prepared for all eventualities, says Shaktikanta Das
- Britain exits European Union, first country to leave 28-nation bloc
- Blake Lively flaunts her baby bump, shows 'Expectation vs. Reality'
- Priyanka Chopra to sing LIVE at IIFA for the first time ever! – Details inside
- China Airlines workers on indefinite strike in Taiwan
- Pakistan shows its big heart, grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Find out what lies beneath your fingernails!