Notice to Amit Jogi on plea for quashing Marwahi Assembly poll
Bilaspur: The Chhattisgarh High Court has issued notice to Congress MLA Amit Jogi, the son of former Chief Minister Ajit Jogi, and eight other contestants from Marwahi Assembly constituency of Bilaspur district over a petition seeking to quash the election to the seat.
Sameera Paikra, BJP nominee from Marwahi seat, had sought to quash the election of Amit Jogi from the seat through a petition citing his citizenship and caste issue, besides allegations of violation of model code of conduct.
Sameera, Amit and eight other contestants were in fray from the seat which had gone to poll on November 19 in the second phase of state Assembly elections last year.
During initial hearing, Justice Printikar Diwakar yesterday served notice to Amit Jogi and eight other contestants, seeking their reply in this connection and posted the matter for further hearing on June 20, petitioner`s lawyer B P Gupta said.
In her petition, Paikra alleged that Amit Jogi has citizenship of two countries and despite that he contested the Assembly election which is against the norms, Gupta said.
The petitioner alleged that the caste certificate submitted by Jogi during filing of his nomination was not certified by an eligible officer. Moreover, his caste certification issue was already disputed but it was ignored during the scrutiny of nominations, Gupta said.
The petitioner also alleged that money and liquor was openly distributed during election to lure the voters, which is a clear violation of model code of conduct, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire