Notice to Amit Jogi on plea for quashing Marwahi Assembly poll
Bilaspur: The Chhattisgarh High Court has issued notice to Congress MLA Amit Jogi, the son of former Chief Minister Ajit Jogi, and eight other contestants from Marwahi Assembly constituency of Bilaspur district over a petition seeking to quash the election to the seat.
Sameera Paikra, BJP nominee from Marwahi seat, had sought to quash the election of Amit Jogi from the seat through a petition citing his citizenship and caste issue, besides allegations of violation of model code of conduct.
Sameera, Amit and eight other contestants were in fray from the seat which had gone to poll on November 19 in the second phase of state Assembly elections last year.
During initial hearing, Justice Printikar Diwakar yesterday served notice to Amit Jogi and eight other contestants, seeking their reply in this connection and posted the matter for further hearing on June 20, petitioner`s lawyer B P Gupta said.
In her petition, Paikra alleged that Amit Jogi has citizenship of two countries and despite that he contested the Assembly election which is against the norms, Gupta said.
The petitioner alleged that the caste certificate submitted by Jogi during filing of his nomination was not certified by an eligible officer. Moreover, his caste certification issue was already disputed but it was ignored during the scrutiny of nominations, Gupta said.
The petitioner also alleged that money and liquor was openly distributed during election to lure the voters, which is a clear violation of model code of conduct, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city