Bhubaneswar: Odisha and Chhattisgarh Governments were in constant touch over Sukma Collector even though there is no information about possible shifting of the hostage in Odisha, official sources said on Monday.
Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh had a telephonic discussion with Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik over the issue, the sources said.
"We are discussing the matter with Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand too. We are constantly in touch with each other and shairing information among ourselves," Home Secretary UN Behera told reporters.
Stating that Odisha government was also in touch with the Centre, he said all required steps would be taken in mutual consultation with the states concerned."
Menon, abducted on Saturday from Majhipara village where he was meeting villagers for a government outreach programme, had earlier visited Malkangiri district in Odisha and attended certain government functions, official sources said.
There is a close similarity between the abduction of Menon on April 21 and the kidnapping of former Malkangiri district collector R Vineel Krishna last year. Both were abducted while visiting village level meetings.
However, the abductors of Krishna had not killed any person while in case of Menon, two security personnel were killed. Both of them had their roots in southern part of the country and served in Maoist hot bed of Odisha and Chhattishgarh.
Meanwhile, police sources from Malkangiri said an alert had been sounded in the district, border with Chhattisgarh sealed and security tightened along the entire strech following the abduction of the collector.
In a bid to avoid such incident in future, Odisha government had advised all its officers to take adequate precautionary measures during field visits.
As 24 of the 30 districts in Odisha are affected by Maoist activities, officers needed to observe precautions and remained alert while touring, particularly in Maoist-hit areas, official sources said.