One jawan killed, 3 injured in Chhattisgarh Naxal attack
Raipur: A police jawan was killed and three others were injured when Naxals attacked a police patrolling party in Maoist-hit Konda Goan district of Chhattisgarh in the wee hours on Friday, police said.
"The face-off between policemen and ultras took place in Borgoan area of Keshkal town of the district at around 1:00 am," Konda Gaon Superintendent of Police D Shravan said over phone.
The patrolling party, comprising seven to eight contingents of district force, was on night duty in the region. When they reached near the last habitation of the town about 30-40 armed Naxals opened indiscriminate firing on them. In retaliation, jawans also fired gun shots following which Naxals fled to the core area of the forest. In the ensuing gunbattle that lasted for an hour, a constable died and three other policemen were injured, he said.
Constable Sanjay Mandavi was killed on the spot, he said.
Those injured were identified as head constable Kamlesh Marapi, Assistant Constable Dhan Singh Netam and Amar Sachlam, the SP said, adding that the injured were lifted to Raipur for further treatment.
Soon after getting news of the incident, additional force has been rushed to the spot and combing operation is in progress to nab the attackers , SP said.
Several Naxals also received bullet injuries but their associates managed to take them into the dense forest region, SP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!