One jawan killed, 3 injured in Chhattisgarh Naxal attack
Raipur: A police jawan was killed and three others were injured when Naxals attacked a police patrolling party in Maoist-hit Konda Goan district of Chhattisgarh in the wee hours on Friday, police said.
"The face-off between policemen and ultras took place in Borgoan area of Keshkal town of the district at around 1:00 am," Konda Gaon Superintendent of Police D Shravan said over phone.
The patrolling party, comprising seven to eight contingents of district force, was on night duty in the region. When they reached near the last habitation of the town about 30-40 armed Naxals opened indiscriminate firing on them. In retaliation, jawans also fired gun shots following which Naxals fled to the core area of the forest. In the ensuing gunbattle that lasted for an hour, a constable died and three other policemen were injured, he said.
Constable Sanjay Mandavi was killed on the spot, he said.
Those injured were identified as head constable Kamlesh Marapi, Assistant Constable Dhan Singh Netam and Amar Sachlam, the SP said, adding that the injured were lifted to Raipur for further treatment.
Soon after getting news of the incident, additional force has been rushed to the spot and combing operation is in progress to nab the attackers , SP said.
Several Naxals also received bullet injuries but their associates managed to take them into the dense forest region, SP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack