Over 1000 cams to monitor hyper-sensitive booths in Bastar
Raipur: Over one thousand cameras will be installed at hyper-sensitive polling stations of Naxal-affected Bastar region in Chhattisgarh to prevent bogus voting and monitor the polling process during the Assembly Elections in November.
"The Election Commission has made arrangements to install one thousand cameras in polling booths of Bastar and it can be raised further according to the need," Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath said on Saturday.
The decision has been taken after some political parties in the state raised doubts over the conduct of an impartial and fearless election in Naxal-affected Bastar and demanded videography of hyper-sensitive polling booths in the region, he said.
An EC team comprising the CEC, election commissioner H S Brahma and other senior officials is on a two-day visit to the state to review the poll arrangements ahead of Assembly elections to be held in two phases in November.
"The commission held an elaborate discussions with police and administration officials for conducting fearless and fair polls and we are satisfied with preparations," Sampath said, adding adequate security arrangements are in place to ensure fair and peaceful elections and the law and order situation is being closely monitored.
A total of 21,424 polling booths will be set up, out of which 6,920 are sensitive and 3,249 are hyper-sensitive, the CEC said.
On relocation of hyper-sensitive polling stations in Bastar, Sampath said, "the EC had reviewed to relocate around 300 booths and after strengthening security arrangements there, it (the number) has been reduced to half."
The CEC said efforts will be made to take those polling booths, which are not approachable and did not have proper connectivity in Bastar, closer to villages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered