Over 1,000 striking teachers held in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Over 1,000 contract teachers in Chhattisgarh, who have been striking work since Nov 1 for a better salary package, were arrested Monday as the state government imposed the Essential Services Maintenance Act (ESMA).
The teachers are also demanding the merger of their posts with regular teachers cadres.
The state government, however, rejected the two core demands of merger and salary hikes and asked authorities to put the protesters in jail and also begin moves to suspend them.
"This is a pressure tactic. The government will not bow down before their (teachers) unnecessary demands. If they will not suspend agitation in a day or two, I will go for a fresh recruitment drive in place of striking teachers," Chief Minister Raman Singh told reporters.
The arrested teachers have been kept at the Raipur central jail and other sub-jails in Raipur district. Policemen have also been deployed at main roads leading into capital Raipur in a bid to arrest teachers, who are reaching here to join the strike at the main protest venue in Budha Talab area.
The opposition Congress criticised the BJP government for "putting teachers in jail just for raising their demand through democratic ways".
Nandkumar Patel, state Congress president, told reporters that the state government had earlier agreed to their all demands and was now putting them in jail when asked to honour the commitment.
There are roughly 200,000 contract teachers in the state placed in different honorarium slabs ranging between Rs.6,000 and Rs.9,000 a month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter