Over 3,500 prisoners in C`garh jails become literate
Raipur: 3,644 prisoners in Chhattisgarh jails have become literate under the `Sakshar Bharat` literacy programme, official sources said.
The literacy programmes are being implemented in Chhattisgarh jails as per the directions of the state government, sources said.
1,183 prisoners have passed the primary school exam in the academic year of 2011-12. While 577 prisoners have passed the secondary school exam, 256 others have passed higher secondary exam. While 68 prisoners have become graduates, 23 others have received post-graduate degrees.
In many jails in the state, prisoners can pursue courses offered by Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), they said.
Additional Director General (Prisons) Giridhari Nayak said, "In most of the cases, illiteracy and lack of education is the cause behind the crime. Considering the importance of education, 29 teachers have been appointed to teach the prisoners. They are giving lessons right from primary level up to post-graduate level."
Nayak added that 57 prisoners of Raipur central jail are getting lessons in various subjects like astrology, Ayurved, vastu-shastra, offered by the Sanskrit Mandalam, which provides monthly scholarship of Rs 82, school uniform and free textbooks to these prisoners.
It has also offered several vocation courses.
According to Nayak, Naxal prisoners are also being encouraged to become literate and so that they can easily join the mainstream.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan