Over 400 striking contract teachers lose job in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: As many as 440 shiksha karmis (contract teachers) who are striking work for redressal of their demands, were terminated from service by Chhattisgarh government Tuesday.
The teachers have been striking work since December 3 last year for their demands including salary on par with the 6th Pay Commission and regularisation of their services.
Majority of those dismissed today were from Jashpur Zila Panchayat, a senior government official said.
"400 contractual teachers of the Jashpur Zila Panchayat have been terminated after they ignored the notice served to them to resume to their work," Collector Ankit Anand said.
Around 2,000 striking teachers of the district were served notice by the district administration and action has been taken against 400 in the first phase, he said.
According to officials of Dantewada district administration, as many as 40 contractual teachers, who had ignored the notice to call off the protest and join their respective schools, also stand dismissed.
Notably, hundreds of contractual teachers were agitating in the capital Raipur since December 3 last year demanding salary at par with regular teachers and their merger in the regular posts of state education department cadre.
Talks held between the state government and representatives of teachers during the agitation were inconclusive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'