Police exchange fire with Naxalites in Kakadyeli forest
Gadchiroli: An encounter took place between security forces and Naxalites in the Kakadyeli village forests in Dhanora taluka this morning, the police said here on Friday.
The Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and district police were conducting anti-Naxal operations at around 10.30 am in view of the Peoples` Liberation Guerilla Army (PLGA) Week being observed, when Naxalites hiding in the forest opened indiscriminate fire on the police which retaliated in self defence.
The exchange of fire continued for about 15 minutes, when on growing police pressure, the guerrillas fled away into the forest.
The police have recovered a rifle and some Maoist literature from the spot.
CRPF`s second-in-command Harshawardhan, Additional Superintendent of Police Rajkumar Shinde and Sub Divisional Police Officer Bangar rushed to the spot with additional reinforcements and intensified search operations in the jungle, after being informed of the incident, the police said.
An offence has been registered with the Dhanora police station and combing operations are on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened