Police exchange fire with Naxalites in Kakadyeli forest
Gadchiroli: An encounter took place between security forces and Naxalites in the Kakadyeli village forests in Dhanora taluka this morning, the police said here on Friday.
The Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and district police were conducting anti-Naxal operations at around 10.30 am in view of the Peoples` Liberation Guerilla Army (PLGA) Week being observed, when Naxalites hiding in the forest opened indiscriminate fire on the police which retaliated in self defence.
The exchange of fire continued for about 15 minutes, when on growing police pressure, the guerrillas fled away into the forest.
The police have recovered a rifle and some Maoist literature from the spot.
CRPF`s second-in-command Harshawardhan, Additional Superintendent of Police Rajkumar Shinde and Sub Divisional Police Officer Bangar rushed to the spot with additional reinforcements and intensified search operations in the jungle, after being informed of the incident, the police said.
An offence has been registered with the Dhanora police station and combing operations are on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report