Police question Chinese engineers in Balco mishap
Raipur: Chhattisgarh police have interrogated several Chinese engineers employed by Shandong Electric Power Construction Corporation (SEPCO) at Korba town to probe the September 23 collapse of an under-construction power plant chimney that killed 45 workers.
"We have interrogated a few Chinese engineers of SEPCO since Monday regarding the Balco tragedy and have also collected some documents," Vivek Sharma, police station in charge of Balco Nagar in Korba, told an agency over phone.
He said the interrogation was part of a police case lodged at Balco Nagar police station by the Chhattisgarh government after a 100 metre high chimney for a 1,200 mw thermal plant collapsed Sep 23.
The Chhattisgarh government has also ordered a judicial probe, but is yet to announce the name of the judge.
Vedanta Resources Plc-controlled Balco in which the Indian government holds a 49 percent stake, had awarded SEPCO the task of constructing two thermal power plants of 600 mw each at Korba, 250-km from here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened