‘Proposed Communal Violence Bill against states’
New Delhi: Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh on Saturday opposed the proposed Communal Violence Bill saying it was against the federal structure of the country and will directly interfere with the legitimate authority of states.
"The proposed bill has many structural loopholes. The biggest problem is that this bill is against India`s federal structure. The national authority set up with the help of this bill will have the power to issue directions to any state authority for any investigation," he said during the meeting of the National Integration Council (NIC) here.
Singh emphasised on better and improved legal measures to encourage communal harmony among people and questioned the need of the `Prevention of Communal and Targeted Violence (Access to Justice and Reparations) Bill, 2011, which is pending with the Centre.
He said the power of maintaining law and order stays with a particular state and changes in this system will bring unfavourable results in the long term.
"Our development policies and strategies have built the common man`s trust in the government and administration. Communal harmony is an important feature of Chhattisgarh, a state that has never witnessed any communal violence," the Chief Minister said.
Singh said his government takes all possible steps to solve sensitive communal issues with the help of public partnership but the involvement of police is also equally important.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video