Raman Singh meets Modi, seeks help to fight LWE
New Delhi: Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh on Tuesday met Prime Minister Narendra Modi and sought formation of Centre-level task force to fight Left Wing Extremism (LWE) and streamlining of forest and environment clearances.
Singh also sought a special financial package for backward and tribal-dominated areas of Chhattisgarh.
"Chhattisgarh has the largest population of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes. About 44 per cent of its area has been covered with forest.
"The state has been ranked the lowest on the Human Development Index. It has the lowest road and rail network as compared to other states and has been facing the problem of LWE and all these criteria make these regions eligible for attaining a special package," Singh said.
The CM also asked the Prime Minister to form a high-level task force at the central level to ensure proper coordination between states and union ministries.
Singh said the entire system of securing clearance for projects should be streamlined. He urged that states should be given more authority in providing permission for green clearances.
Singh asked Modi to help the state get forest clearance for coal block allotted for Sarguja Ultra Mega Power Project (UMPP). "From this 4,000 MW project, Chhattisgarh will receive 2,000 MW power and the rest will be given to Gujarat, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Goa and Daman-Diu," he said.
Modi said the Centre is committed to extending all possible help to Chhattisgarh in ensuring sustainable development in the state.
"The Centre will make every possible effort to ensure sustainable development in Bastar and other backward and tribal-dominated regions of Chhattisgarh," Modi was quoted as saying in a release issued by Chhattisgarh government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 50 seats, BJP in 32; big prestige battle for both parties
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena ahead in Mumbai, Thane; BJP leading in Pune, Nagpur, Solapur, Akola