Rape not deliberate, says Chhattisgarh minister
Zee Media Bureau
Raipur: Amidst huge outrage over rising incidents of rape across the country, Chhattisgarh Home Minister Ram Sewak Paikra on Saturday put his mouth in his foot when he said sexual assaults are not "deliberate".
"Balatkar jaisi ghatna ko koi janbujhkar nahi karta hai. Dhoke se sab karte hai (No one commits rape deliberately. It is committed by deceit)," Paikra told journalists.
Paikra`s bizarre comment is sure to cause embarrassment to the BJP.
Earlier, another BJP leader and Madhya Pradesh Home Minister Babulal Gaur stoked a controversy when he described rape as a social crime which was "sometimes right, sometimes wrong".
There is a huge outrage across the country, especially after the heinous incident of gang-rape and murder of two sisters in Badaun, Uttar Pradesh.
The UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has been slammed for failing to control law and order in the state. His father and Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav had in April said death penalty in rape cases was "unfair" as boys make "mistakes".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Parliament deadlock: BJP says blame Sonia if Monsoon Session washed out, calls Congress 'confused'