Road built on forest land in Chhattisgarh, claims Congress
Raipur: The opposition Congress in Chhattisgarh Tuesday said in the assembly that a 3-km long road was constructed under national rural jobs scheme on a forest land in Rajnandgaon district without the approval of the forest department.
The Congress alleged that even villagers felled thousands of trees, including teak plantations, to make way for the road built under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS).
"This not only caused heavy loss to the state exchequer but also opened new opportunities to encroach on reserved forest land. Instead of checking this encroachment, the local officials of the Forest Development Corporation remained mute spectators," Congress members Bhajan Singh Nirankari and Mohammad Akbar said in the assembly.
The construction work started Jan 21 and was completed within 15 days, showing collusion between officials of the Forest Development Corporation and the panchayat department, the opposition alleged.
In his reply, state Forest Minister Vikram Usendi rejected the charges and said that a narrow road existed for years and was used by villagers. He said that the existing road was widened without the approval of the Forest Development Corporation and that its length was 700 metres and not 3 km as claimed by the members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation