Sangma for ‘political solution’ to Naxal problem
Raipur: Former Lok Sabha Speaker and National People`s Party chief PA Sangma on Monday said the Chhattisgarh government should find "a political solution" to the Naxal problem.
"What has happened (the Naxal attack in Bastar on Congress leaders) is very unfortunate and I completely reject this violence, but simultaneously we urge the state government as well as the Centre to go into the root-cause of the problem," he said here.
"As a tribal leader, I appeal (Naxals) to shun violence and come out for a dialogue. The government should find a political solution," he said.
Asked about possible impact of Bastar attack on the coming Assembly polls, he said, "Definitely it would have impact on Congress as they have lost their top leaders."
Sangma also said he was "very much against" using Army to fight Naxals.
"Their mindset is to fight enemy, not our people. In North-East, it is quite evident that even after deploying Army and imposing AFSPA (Armed Forces Special Power Act), insurgency has upsurged," he said.
"Tribals were ignored and suppressed. They are accused of being Maoists and Naxalites, hence they are scared to come to the capital (Raipur), which is very bad...There should be an economic package of Rs 2 lakh crore for the development of fifth schedule areas (listed in the Constitution)," Sangma said.
Sangma also said that Third Front will play a key role in coming Assembly elections in Chhattisgarh and will field candidates in all the ninety seats.
The Third Front in the state includes NPP, Chhattisgarh Swabhiman Manch, CPI, CPI (M), Rashtriya Gondwana Gadtantra Party and Chhattisgarh Mukti Morcha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming