Search begins for CRPF trooper who faked his killing
Raipur: Chhattisgarh police on Thursday launched a search for a Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) trooper who allegedly faked his own murder to get Rs 4 million in insurance money that is given to cops who get killed in Maoist violence. They have arrested his accomplice.
Police say constable Kanhaiyalal Yadav of CRPF`s 204 Battalion -- who was posted in the restive Bastar region -- murdered a man on August 15, beheaded the body and then poured acid on it to make it difficult for police to identify the body. He then put his I-card inside the clothes worn by the dead man.
The incident took place in Bastar district. Initially police believed the constable was killed by Maoists and even his family members from Ghazipur in Uttar Pradesh reached Raipur to receive the body and claimed the insurance amount.
But the murder story got a twist when a forensic report indicated that the body did not belong to the CRPF trooper. Later, police said the body actually was a man called Umesh Yadav.
"We have launched a search to arrest Kanhaiyalal Yadav who staged his own killing. The CRPF constable`s cousin, Kapil, has been arrested in Uttar Pradesh," Bastar district Superintendent of Police P Sunder Raj told a news agency.
"Kanhaiyalal along with Kapil had actually murdered Umesh Yadav and beheaded his body and disfigured portions of the body to convince police that it was the CRPF constable."
"Evidence collected from the spot convinced us that someone had deliberately tried to show it was a Maoist attack. The finger prints of the dead man and finger prints of CRPF constable Kanhaiyalal Yadav did not match. While 10-inch shoes were found near the headless body, investigations revealed that the CRPF constable`s shoe size was eight inches," said Sunder Raj.
He said police were handling the case very seriously and a team was sent to Ghazipur and detained the constable`s cousin Kapil, who spilled the beans.
He said police investigations also found that Kanhaiyalal had got a life insurance policy of Rs 3 million made from a private insurance company recently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?