Security forces asked to remain alert in Chhattisgarh

Security personnel in Chhattisgarh's Bastar region have been asked to remain extra cautious following inputs of a possibility of further strikes by the Naxals.

PTI| Last Updated: Oct 03, 2014, 10:46 AM IST

Raipur: Security personnel in Chhattisgarh's Bastar region have been asked to remain extra cautious following inputs of a possibility of further strikes by the Naxals.

The warning was issued as the Maoists are facing an acute shortage of arms and ammunition and might carry their strikes to continue their guerrilla war. Security forces have also been told to disrupt the availability of ration to Naxals in the insurgency-hit region, as per a note of the police department.

"Small action teams of Maoist have executed attacks with axes, country-made gun and sharp edged weapons on security personnel to loot their arms, ammunition and as per inputs, they could continue such operations in near future. Keeping this in view, instructions have been issued," a senior police official told a news agency.

The note issued by the office of Inspector General of Police, Bastar Range to the SPs (superintendent of police) in the conflict zone and paramilitaries, states, "To counter the strategy of small action teams, it would be appropriate that security forces should interrogate each suspects at the local markets after surrounding the entire location. Even if the suspects found to be innocent villagers during interrogation, they should be handed over to sarpanch/panch of the village from where they belongs or their relatives after the identification."

"Moreover, security forces should maintain extra vigil during their deployment at weekly markets in the restive pockets. Confirmed inputs suggest that ultras are facing crisis of weapons and ammunitions and they may suffer a huge blow in their core holds if they failed to arrange it in next three-four months. "Their strength would automatically deplete thereby
weakening the two-decade long old outlawed movement in Bastar," the note said.

The note also said that there is information that Naxals are running out of food stock.

"If they won't get food commodities from fair price shops in remote areas, they will try to snatch ration of villagers which would thereby create an atmosphere of anger against rebels among local tribals. The strategy will help police in its counter-insurgency-operations," it said.

District collectors and food officers should be consulted to chalk out a systematic plan in this concern.

The note also lauded the paramilitaries, including CRPF and BSF for the 'success' in anti-Naxal operations during past 100 days where a considerable number of Maoists have surrendered and prominent cadres arrested.

Last month, insurgents looted two self-loaded rifles, two grenades and few rounds after killing a police jawan and injuring another at a weekly market in Maoist-hit Bijapur district, the official said.

In another incident in the same district, Naxals escaped with one AK-47 and one Insas rifles after injuring two jawans at a weekly market in July.

Many more attacks on police personnel were reported in the recent past at separate places in Bastar, the official added.