Security personnel, Naxals exchange fire in Rajnandgaon
Rajnandgaon: Security forces and Naxals exchanged fire near here on Wednesday but no casualties were reported from either side, police said.
Acting on a tip-off, a joint team of district police and ITBP launched a search operation in the forests between Murargota and Gubiagarh areas when they were fired on by a group of Maoists hiding there, Rajnandgaon Superintendent of Police Sanjeev Shukla said.
The security personnel returned the fire, following which the extremists fled from the spot, he said, adding there were no reports of casualties from either side.
The police later recovered live and empty cartridges of SLR rifles, a plastic tent, Naxal-related material and items of daily use from the encounter scene, Shukla added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Indian consulate in Munich puts out advisory
- Chancellor Angela Merkel to convene German security council after Munich shootings: spokesman
- Merkel aide says cannot confirm Munich shooting was terrorism
- US stocks hit new records; weak British data hits pound
- Whirlpool's biggest challenge is rapid changes in global markets: CEO