Senior officials told to appear before HC
Bilaspur: Bilaspur High Court has directed senior Chhattisgarh government officials including its principal secretary (Home) to appear before it on September 19 in the case of bail being granted to hardcore naxalite Meena Chaudhary.
"The high court yesterday directed the principal secretary (Home), home secretary Arun Upadhyay and Raipur Collector to appear before it in connection with Chaudhary`s bail petition," defence counsel Satish Chandra Verma said.
The home secretary has been asked to file a fresh affidavit stating that the state government will not oppose Chaudhary`s bail application which is pending before the high court.
Chaudhary had been arrested on January 22, 2008 from Maharashtra Mandal Working Women`s Hostel here for allegedly supplying some weapons and walkie-talkies to ultras and was booked under the Chhattisgarh Public Safety Act.
A district court had earlier rejected her bail application following which she moved the high court. During the hearing, the state government told the court that it was not against granting relief to the naxal. The court then directed the state government to file an affidavit stating its stand on Chaudhary`s bail.
First affidavit in this regard was filed by Raipur Additional Collector Shammi Abidi, which was rejected by the court on the ground of being "unsatisfactory". The court also struck down the second affidavit filed by the collector of Raipur in this regard.
The court then ordered the home secretary and Raipur collector to appear before it on Monday with another affidavit. However, not satisfied with it either, the court summoned the principal secretary (Home) on September 19 along with fresh affidavit.
The court has also asked the home secretary and Raipur collector to file their replies for not honouring its directives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town