Seven naxalites killed in police encounter in Gadchiroli
Nagpur: At least seven naxalites were killed and several others injured in an encounter with police at Bhatpar jungle in Gadchiroli district bordering Chhattisgarh early this morning, police said.
Acting on a tip-off that around 100-armed ultras were holding a secret meeting in Bhatpar jungle, a Naxal hotbed, three separate companies of anti-naxal squad C-60 reached there in the morning, cordoned off the area and challenged them, according to reports reaching the divisional headquarters here.
The Maoists immediately opened indiscriminate firing and the gun battle continued for over two hours.
Bharat Thakur, the sub-divisional police officer (SDPO) of Aheri, who led the operation, said police party found four bodies of the ultras at the spot while "the naxalites succeeded in taking away three bodies during the battle."
"We have already intensified coming operation in the area immediately after the encounter and the toll may rise," he added.
The ultras killed in the encounter were yet to be identified.
Three police personnel sustained minor injuries in the gun battle.
The Gadchiroli police had killed six Maoists, including a divisional committee member and a dalam commander, in January this year near Govindgaon in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!