Six policemen killed in Naxal ambush in Chhattisgarh`s Dantewada
Zee Media Bureau
Raipur: In a tragic incident, six policemen were killed in Naxal ambush in Chhattisgarh`s Dantewada district on Friday.
Five police jawans, including a SHO were killed in the ambush. Earlier this month four Maoists were arrested in Dantewada district.
The incident took place when a police patrol party headed by SHO, Kuwakonda, Vivek Shukla was on way to Shyamgiri Hills for security of an under-construction road near Kuwakonda-Bacheli, a senior police official told PTI.
The patrol team comprising around 10 police jawans was moving on motorcycles when armed rebels opened indiscriminate firing on them, resulting in the death of SHO Shukla and five other policemen on the spot, he said.
In 2010, the Leftwing guerrillas ambushed and massacred 76 security personnel in the dense forests of Chhattisgarh in the worst such attack since the Maoist rebellion erupted 43 years ago.
Fearing leakage of their strategies ahead of Lok Sabha polls, Naxals are keeping a close watch on people who could act as informers and pass on information using mobile phones in villages of their hot-bed Bastar.
In some pockets of restive Narayanpur district comprising a major part of the Abhujmad region, local cadres are visiting villages and collecting information about mobile users and even asking them to deposit the gadgets with rebels assuring to return them after the Lok Sabha elections.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Solapur Municipal Corporation, Congress bastion, wrested by BJP