Soni Sori needs psychological counselling: NCW
Raipur: An NCW member has said that Soni Sori, the tribal teacher arrested for alleged Maoist links, needs psychological counselling so that she gets over the mental trauma she had suffered in police custody.
National Commission for Women (NCW) member Shamina Shafiq, who visited Raipur Central Jail yesterday where Sori has been lodged, said it would be difficult for her to survive if she was not provided proper counselling.
Sori, the 36-year-old teacher in a government school in one of India`s worst Naxal-hit district Dantewada, was arrested in Delhi in October last year on charges of receiving money on behalf of Maoists from a corporate entity.
She had later accused Chhattisgarh police of torturing her in police custody.
"She (Sori) has been through so much whether outside or inside. We had a long discussion. She needs psychological help and a lot of counselling," Shafiq said.
"If she is not counselled, then it would be very difficult for her to survive in such circumstances," she said.
Sori had also handed over a letter to her, Shafiq said, but refused to reveal its contents.
Shafiq also met with other women prisoners, including two detained on charges of being Maoist conduits.
She asked jail authorities to work on psychological counselling for inmates, particularly women.
"Women carry the emotional burden. When they are behind bars and family members are not visiting them, they go through a lot of mental trauma and need psychological help from time to time," Shafiq stressed.
She also pointed out lack of police personnel in the jail, leading to insecurity.
"The women prisoners cannot go for hearing sometimes owing to lack of police personnel to escort them to the courts," she noted.
The non-availability of adequate number of police personnel is one of the basic problems here, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP