STF commander, jawan killed in C`garh Naxal encounter
Raipur: A Special Task Force (STF) commander and a jawan were killedon Tuesday in an encounter between the ultras and security forces in Maoist-hit Bastar region of southern Chhattisgarh, police said.
"The incident took place between the forests under Madum police station (Bastar district) and Mardapal police station (Kondagaon district) limits when a joint party of STF and local police was coming out of the forest after an intense operation," Bastar Superintendent of Police Ajay Yadav told a news agency.
Those killed were identified as company commander Lav Bhagat and constable Selestian Kujur, Yadav said.
The patrol party was on a combing operation for the past two days in the bordering areas of Dantewada, Narayanpur, Kondagaon and Bastar districts of Bastar division.
"They succumbed to bullet injuries while being taken out of the forest," the SP said.
Earlier, on Monday afternoon, a face-off had taken place between security personnel and Maoists in the forest of Narayanpur area in which two women naxalites were killed, he said.
"After an hour of the gunbattle, security personnel recovered bodies of two women naxals, dressed in Maoist uniforms, from the spot," the SP said, adding some weapons were also recovered from the spot.
Additional forces have been rushed into the forest to help the patrol party reach back to their camp, the SP added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'