STF jawan killed in encounter with naxals
Raipur: A security personnel was killed and another got injured in an encounter with naxalites in the Maoist-hit Sukma district of southern Chhattisgarh today.
The incident took place when the joint party of district force, Chhattisgarh Armed Force and Special Task Force (STF) was on a combing operation in the jungles of Chintagufa Police Station area of the district early this morning, police said.
According to police sources, when the patrolling party reached near Minpa village in the region, naxals opened indiscriminate firing on them following which security forces launched a retaliatory attack.
In the exchange of fire that lasted for around two-and-a-half hours, two jawans were injured out of whom one later succumbed, police said.
"One of the injured jawan of STF died while he was being rushed to a hospital in Jagdalpur," Inspector General of Police (IG), Bastar Range, Himanshu Gupta said over phone.
The deceased has been identified as - head constable Yogendra Singh.
"The injured Assistant Platoon Commander (APC) of STF, Narendra Yadav, has been air-lifted to Raipur for treatment," the IG added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption