Thirteen more blinded after cataract surgery
Raipur: Thirteen more people have lost their eyesight in Chhattisgarh after being operated upon for cataract at a government health camp last month, taking the total number of victims to 24, officials said on Sunday.
"Reports are coming in that the majority of those operated at the camp for cataract have developed swelling and pus in the eyes. The district authorities have been trying to contact them to provide early treatment," a doctor posted at Durg district hospital said.
He said the 13 people who have now complained of losing eyesight were admitted at various Durg hospitals.
On Thursday, 11 elderly people had lost their eyesight after being operated upon by allegedly "ill-trained doctors" at the same camp in Durg district`s Balod, some 120 km from here.
As many as 325 people were medically examined and some 50 percent were operated upon at the much publicised week-long camp that concluded on September 30.
Sources say the district authorities were under pressure to act against the erring doctors.
The state government had on Thursday arranged vehicles for 11 patients to travel from Balod to Raipur to admit them at the state`s biggest government hospital -- Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar Medical College and Hospital -- after their relatives and locals protested against the surgeries conducted at the camp.
Durg District Collector Reena Babasaheb Kangale has admitted "negligence" at the government camp and asserted that the "administration would act tough against those found responsible".
Amid a rising number of people complaining of losing eyesight, Chhattisgarh health services director Kamal Preet Singh said: "We are investigating the matter as it is a serious issue."
"I will deal with it strongly. Those who performed operations at the camp will be interrogated and tough action will be taken against the guilty."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog