Three Cobra jawans injured in encounter with Naxals in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Three Cobra jawans were on Tuesday injured in a gun-battle between paramilitary forces and Maoists in Chhattisgarh`s insurgency-hit Dantewada district.
The encounter took place in restive forests of Kodanar under Aranpur Police Station limits when security forces were returning after an anti-Naxal operation in the region early this morning, Dantewada Superintendent of Police, Kamlochan Kashyap told PTI.
A squad of Cobra`s (Compact Battalion for Resolute Action), a specialised unit of CRPF, 201 battalion was mobilised from Jagargunda (Sukma) for anti-Naxal operations since yesterday.
On their way back to their camp this morning, when security forces reached Kodanar forests, a group of armed Naxals opened indiscriminate firing on them leaving three jawans injured.
However rebels fled to the core forest, when jawans retaliated, the SP said.
Soon after being informed, reinforcement was rushed to the spot, he said, adding the injured personnel are being retrieved from the forests.
Further details are awaited.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- PM Modi's 10th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat': As it happened
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday