Three held for hijacking train and freeing an undertrial
Raipur: Three people were arrested today in connection with hijacking a train by a group of criminals at gunpoint, to free an undertrial in the Durg district of Chhattisgarh, the police said.
"Three people have been arrested for stopping the train at gunpoint to free undertrial prisoner Upendra Singh yesterday near Kumhari station of district," Superintendent of Police O P Pal said.
Around eight armed criminals allegedly "hijacked" the Gondia-Durg Jan Satabdi Express near Kumhari railway station of the district on Wednesday, to free Upendra Singh who has been accused of kidnapping, he said.
Singh is among the main culprits involved in allegedly kidnapping a businessman Jaichand Baid, four years ago.
Singh was returning to Bilaspur in the train under police escort comprising two constables and a head constable, after attending a court hearing at Durg, the police said.
The incident took place at a place between Charoda and Sarona railway stations, as assailants allegedly attacked the police escorts with chilli powder and hit them with country made guns, he said.
Later, they reached the engine room and allegedly forced the driver and his assistant under gunpoint to stop the train at a place specified by them. The assailants managed to flee with undertrial prisoner near Kevaldham, located on the border of Durg and Raipur, he said.
On getting a tip-off about the movement of attackers near Patan village of the district, the police began a manhunt last night. Three of them were arrested today afternoon, but the main accused Upendra Singh is still at large.
The police has also announced a cash reward of Rs 50,000 for information leading to Singh arrest, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!