Three held for hijacking train and freeing an undertrial
Raipur: Three people were arrested today in connection with hijacking a train by a group of criminals at gunpoint, to free an undertrial in the Durg district of Chhattisgarh, the police said.
"Three people have been arrested for stopping the train at gunpoint to free undertrial prisoner Upendra Singh yesterday near Kumhari station of district," Superintendent of Police O P Pal said.
Around eight armed criminals allegedly "hijacked" the Gondia-Durg Jan Satabdi Express near Kumhari railway station of the district on Wednesday, to free Upendra Singh who has been accused of kidnapping, he said.
Singh is among the main culprits involved in allegedly kidnapping a businessman Jaichand Baid, four years ago.
Singh was returning to Bilaspur in the train under police escort comprising two constables and a head constable, after attending a court hearing at Durg, the police said.
The incident took place at a place between Charoda and Sarona railway stations, as assailants allegedly attacked the police escorts with chilli powder and hit them with country made guns, he said.
Later, they reached the engine room and allegedly forced the driver and his assistant under gunpoint to stop the train at a place specified by them. The assailants managed to flee with undertrial prisoner near Kevaldham, located on the border of Durg and Raipur, he said.
On getting a tip-off about the movement of attackers near Patan village of the district, the police began a manhunt last night. Three of them were arrested today afternoon, but the main accused Upendra Singh is still at large.
The police has also announced a cash reward of Rs 50,000 for information leading to Singh arrest, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali