Total shut down in Chhattisgarh state against Kanker rapes
Raipur: A one-day statewide bandh called by the Congress to protest against the Kanker rapes involving minor inmates of a government-run tribal girls` hostel was a complete success across Chhattisgarh state.
Shops, business establishments and commercial centres downed shutters as the shut down was also supported by the Chhattisgarh Chamber of Commerce and Industries in major areas including Raipur, Rajnandgaon, Bilaspur, Bastar, Durg-Bhilai, Raigarh, Korba and Ambikapur, sources said.
"The situation was peaceful and no untoward incident has been reported so far from any part of the state. We are keeping a close vigil," a senior police official said.
In Raipur, educational institutions, multiplexes and petrol pumps remained closed for the day, while government offices, medical shops and emergency services remained unaffected.
Vehicular movement virtually came to a halt in many parts of the city as passenger buses and auto-rickshaws remained off the roads.
A large number of passengers were seen stranded at railway stations and bus stands at many places, while roads wore a deserted look during the one-day shut down.
"Elaborate security arrangements were made by the police with heavy deployment in the capital to prevent any untoward incident during the shut down," Senior Superintendent of Police Deepanshu Kabra told PTI.
Meanwhile, a group of NSUI and Youth Congress workers were arrested for creating chaos at the house of Home Minister Nankiram Kanwar, but they were released later, SSP Kabra added.
Condemning the alleged sexual assault on minor inmates, protestors peacefully appealed to the people, to support the bandh call.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre