Total shut down in Chhattisgarh state against Kanker rapes
Raipur: A one-day statewide bandh called by the Congress to protest against the Kanker rapes involving minor inmates of a government-run tribal girls` hostel was a complete success across Chhattisgarh state.
Shops, business establishments and commercial centres downed shutters as the shut down was also supported by the Chhattisgarh Chamber of Commerce and Industries in major areas including Raipur, Rajnandgaon, Bilaspur, Bastar, Durg-Bhilai, Raigarh, Korba and Ambikapur, sources said.
"The situation was peaceful and no untoward incident has been reported so far from any part of the state. We are keeping a close vigil," a senior police official said.
In Raipur, educational institutions, multiplexes and petrol pumps remained closed for the day, while government offices, medical shops and emergency services remained unaffected.
Vehicular movement virtually came to a halt in many parts of the city as passenger buses and auto-rickshaws remained off the roads.
A large number of passengers were seen stranded at railway stations and bus stands at many places, while roads wore a deserted look during the one-day shut down.
"Elaborate security arrangements were made by the police with heavy deployment in the capital to prevent any untoward incident during the shut down," Senior Superintendent of Police Deepanshu Kabra told PTI.
Meanwhile, a group of NSUI and Youth Congress workers were arrested for creating chaos at the house of Home Minister Nankiram Kanwar, but they were released later, SSP Kabra added.
Condemning the alleged sexual assault on minor inmates, protestors peacefully appealed to the people, to support the bandh call.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly