Total shut down in Chhattisgarh state against Kanker rapes
Raipur: A one-day statewide bandh called by the Congress to protest against the Kanker rapes involving minor inmates of a government-run tribal girls` hostel was a complete success across Chhattisgarh state.
Shops, business establishments and commercial centres downed shutters as the shut down was also supported by the Chhattisgarh Chamber of Commerce and Industries in major areas including Raipur, Rajnandgaon, Bilaspur, Bastar, Durg-Bhilai, Raigarh, Korba and Ambikapur, sources said.
"The situation was peaceful and no untoward incident has been reported so far from any part of the state. We are keeping a close vigil," a senior police official said.
In Raipur, educational institutions, multiplexes and petrol pumps remained closed for the day, while government offices, medical shops and emergency services remained unaffected.
Vehicular movement virtually came to a halt in many parts of the city as passenger buses and auto-rickshaws remained off the roads.
A large number of passengers were seen stranded at railway stations and bus stands at many places, while roads wore a deserted look during the one-day shut down.
"Elaborate security arrangements were made by the police with heavy deployment in the capital to prevent any untoward incident during the shut down," Senior Superintendent of Police Deepanshu Kabra told PTI.
Meanwhile, a group of NSUI and Youth Congress workers were arrested for creating chaos at the house of Home Minister Nankiram Kanwar, but they were released later, SSP Kabra added.
Condemning the alleged sexual assault on minor inmates, protestors peacefully appealed to the people, to support the bandh call.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Uttarakhand: BJP MLA Prem Singh Rana insulted during CM Harish Rawat's speech
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey