Two CRPF officials killed, 12 injured in Naxal attack in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Two CRPF officials, including a deputy commandant, were killed and 12 security personnel were injured in a landmine blast triggered by Naxals in Sukma district of Chhattisgarh on Sunday.
The incident took place this morning in a forest near Bodhrajpadar village under Bhejji police station limits, Sukma Additional Superintendent of Police Neeraj Chandrakar said.
Constable Rajiv Rawat, belonging to the 219 Battalion of CRPF, and one of the two deputy commandants in the operational units have been killed. The identity of the deputy commandant is in the process of being established.
"Two of our personnel including a deputy commandant-level officer have been killed. The entire operation was being led by senior officers," CRPF Inspector General (Operations) HS Sidhu told PTI.
Twelve security personnel, including a CRPF deputy commandant, seven other officials of the force and four state policemen, have been injured in the incident, he added.
The evacuation process is on and two helicopters have been sent to retrieve the injured jawans, ASP Chandrakar said.
A joint squad of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), its specialised unit Commando Battalion for Resolute Action (COBRA) and the district police personnel was engaged in an anti-Naxal operation in the region, which is around 500 km away from Raipur, for the past few days.
Maoists triggered a landmine blast and opened fire on the security personnel, Chandrakar said.
Maoists retreated as the security personnel retaliated and began to encircle them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state