Two human traffickers held in Raipur
Raipur: Two people, including a woman, were arrested in this Chhattisgarh capital for allegedly trying to traffic a 22-year-old woman to a red light area for "a couple of hundred rupees", police said Thursday.
The two were held from a bus stand at Pandri locality here. The victim has been rescued, police officer Rajesh Chaudhary said.
The victim belongs to Nuapada district in Orissa.
"We are interrogating the two human traffickers and investigation is in preliminary stage but it indicates that a gang of human traffickers is highly active in tribal parts of Chhattisgarh and Orissa for years who are doing business by pushing girls of poverty-hit families into flesh trade," Chaudhary said.
Police in Chhattisgarh say that human traffickers are highly active in the state`s vast northern region where they take away hundreds of minors and girls annually promising them jobs in big cities, mainly as domestic helps or at brick kilns in rural areas of Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and other states. But they are actually forced into prostitution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi