Two human traffickers held in Raipur
Raipur: Two people, including a woman, were arrested in this Chhattisgarh capital for allegedly trying to traffic a 22-year-old woman to a red light area for "a couple of hundred rupees", police said Thursday.
The two were held from a bus stand at Pandri locality here. The victim has been rescued, police officer Rajesh Chaudhary said.
The victim belongs to Nuapada district in Orissa.
"We are interrogating the two human traffickers and investigation is in preliminary stage but it indicates that a gang of human traffickers is highly active in tribal parts of Chhattisgarh and Orissa for years who are doing business by pushing girls of poverty-hit families into flesh trade," Chaudhary said.
Police in Chhattisgarh say that human traffickers are highly active in the state`s vast northern region where they take away hundreds of minors and girls annually promising them jobs in big cities, mainly as domestic helps or at brick kilns in rural areas of Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and other states. But they are actually forced into prostitution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police