Two human traffickers held in Raipur
Raipur: Two people, including a woman, were arrested in this Chhattisgarh capital for allegedly trying to traffic a 22-year-old woman to a red light area for "a couple of hundred rupees", police said Thursday.
The two were held from a bus stand at Pandri locality here. The victim has been rescued, police officer Rajesh Chaudhary said.
The victim belongs to Nuapada district in Orissa.
"We are interrogating the two human traffickers and investigation is in preliminary stage but it indicates that a gang of human traffickers is highly active in tribal parts of Chhattisgarh and Orissa for years who are doing business by pushing girls of poverty-hit families into flesh trade," Chaudhary said.
Police in Chhattisgarh say that human traffickers are highly active in the state`s vast northern region where they take away hundreds of minors and girls annually promising them jobs in big cities, mainly as domestic helps or at brick kilns in rural areas of Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and other states. But they are actually forced into prostitution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report