Two Maoists gunned down in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: In an overnight fierce gun-battle, security forces gunned down two Maoist ultras and arrested four woman insurgents in Narayanpur district, police said on Saturday.
Narayanpur district is located nearly 400 km south of Raipur.
Narayanpur district police superintendent Mayank Shrivastava said: "In a joint operation of district police and Central Reserve Police Force, 39 Battalion, two dreaded Maoist guerrillas were gunned down and four woman members were arrested."
According to Additional Director General of Police (Naxal operations), Ram Niwas, following an intelligence input that a number of armed Maoist ultras were meeting in the area, a joint team of CRPF and district police comprising 300 troopers laid siege to a forested area of Narayanpur district around 8 pm on Friday.
Seeing the security forces encircling them, the guerrillas started firing indiscriminately at the security forces prompting a fierce gun-battle, which lasted nearly three hours.
Two insurgents were killed while four injured women insurgents, hiding near the spot, were arrested. Other members of the group managed to escape in the jungle taking advantage of darkness.
Security forces recovered the bodies of the two slain ultras, `bharmar` guns, ammunition and Maoist literature from the site. No casualty or injury was reported among the security force personnel.
Narayanpur district is one of the seven districts of restive Bastar division, which is heavily affected by Maoist insurgency and has witnessed a number of bloody gun-battles between security forces and the guerrillas during the nearly two-decade-old Maoist uprising.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM