Two minor sisters commit suicide in Chattisgarh
Raipur: Two teenage sisters on Tuesday committed suicide by consuming poison in the Naxal-affected Narayanpur district of Chhattisgarh, police said.
Seventeen-year-old Geeta Usendi and her younger sister Indra (15) committed suicide by consuming pesticide at their house in Orchha village of the district, Superintendent of Police Mayank Shrivastava told a news agency over phone.
"Both of them were studying in separate ashram schools (residential school) in the region," he said.
According to the parents of the girls, Geeta, a student of class 10 and Indra, who was studying in class eighth, were suffering from some illness owing to which both were brought to their home from hostels last week, he said.
On Monday, both of them were taken to a local baiga (one who practises necromancy) for treatment. But their condition kept deteriorating. "Both the sisters consumed pesticide this morning," he added.
One of them died on the spot, while the other one breathed her last while she was being taken to a hospital in Narayanpur town, he added.
While the exact cause which prompted the teenagers to take the extreme step was yet to be known, according to their father, the victims had been suffering from health problems from the past few days which could have distressed them, police said.
A case has been registered in this connection, he said adding that further probe was on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars