Two minor sisters commit suicide in Chattisgarh
Raipur: Two teenage sisters on Tuesday committed suicide by consuming poison in the Naxal-affected Narayanpur district of Chhattisgarh, police said.
Seventeen-year-old Geeta Usendi and her younger sister Indra (15) committed suicide by consuming pesticide at their house in Orchha village of the district, Superintendent of Police Mayank Shrivastava told a news agency over phone.
"Both of them were studying in separate ashram schools (residential school) in the region," he said.
According to the parents of the girls, Geeta, a student of class 10 and Indra, who was studying in class eighth, were suffering from some illness owing to which both were brought to their home from hostels last week, he said.
On Monday, both of them were taken to a local baiga (one who practises necromancy) for treatment. But their condition kept deteriorating. "Both the sisters consumed pesticide this morning," he added.
One of them died on the spot, while the other one breathed her last while she was being taken to a hospital in Narayanpur town, he added.
While the exact cause which prompted the teenagers to take the extreme step was yet to be known, according to their father, the victims had been suffering from health problems from the past few days which could have distressed them, police said.
A case has been registered in this connection, he said adding that further probe was on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH