Two minor sisters commit suicide in Chattisgarh
Raipur: Two teenage sisters on Tuesday committed suicide by consuming poison in the Naxal-affected Narayanpur district of Chhattisgarh, police said.
Seventeen-year-old Geeta Usendi and her younger sister Indra (15) committed suicide by consuming pesticide at their house in Orchha village of the district, Superintendent of Police Mayank Shrivastava told a news agency over phone.
"Both of them were studying in separate ashram schools (residential school) in the region," he said.
According to the parents of the girls, Geeta, a student of class 10 and Indra, who was studying in class eighth, were suffering from some illness owing to which both were brought to their home from hostels last week, he said.
On Monday, both of them were taken to a local baiga (one who practises necromancy) for treatment. But their condition kept deteriorating. "Both the sisters consumed pesticide this morning," he added.
One of them died on the spot, while the other one breathed her last while she was being taken to a hospital in Narayanpur town, he added.
While the exact cause which prompted the teenagers to take the extreme step was yet to be known, according to their father, the victims had been suffering from health problems from the past few days which could have distressed them, police said.
A case has been registered in this connection, he said adding that further probe was on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical