Two Naxalites held in Kanker during separate search operations
Raipur: Two Maoists were arrested from Naxalite-infested Kanker district in Chhatisgarh during two separate joint search operations conducted by security forces, the police said on Saturday.
"One 38-year-old Sop Singh, a resident of Partapur village was apprehended from Pakhanjur forest area after a joint team comprising sleuths of the district police and the Border Security Force (BSF) cordoned off the area," Superintendent of Police Rahul Bhagat told PTI.
Singh was allegedly involved in a number of crimes ranging from arson to loot, besides being accused of looting some election material in a previous Lok Sabha election, he said.
A muzzle-loading gun was recovered from his possession, he said.
In a separate incident, Chaituram Raut (30) was nabbed during a search operation by a joint team of district police and the BSF`s 127 battalion from the Mendra forest area, which is under the Badgaon police station`s jurisdiction, he said.
The joint team also detected and defused a 10-kg improvised explosive device hidden beneath a road in the Durkundal forest area, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city