Two Naxals surrender in Rajnandgaon
Raipur: Two Naxals, including a woman, today surrendered in Chhattisgarh`s Rajnandgaon district.
"Maoists` military platoon-55 section commander Kamlesh Singh and member Shilpa surrendered before Durg Range IGP Ashok Juneja," Rajnadgaon SP Sanjeev Shukla said.
"Both had served in Naxal movement in Maharashtra and Chhattisgarh," he said.
Kalmesh, a native of Domikala village in Rajnandgaon district, joined Naxal when he was 15. Initially he worked with Aundhi dalam for two months and later shifted to Kodekhursh Local Operating Squad (LOS), which is active in Rajnandgaon and Kanker districts, the SP said.
He also spent some time in Gadhchiroli, Maharashtra.
"Under pressure from security personnel and (due to) harsh forest life, he decided to quit," the SP said, adding that Kamlesh handed over to police a 7.62 mm SLR rifle, 3 SLR magazines and 75 live cartridges.
Hemlata, hailing from Phoolgondi village of Maharashtra, told police that she joined Maoists when she was just 14 years old. She became a member of Korchi dalam and in 2012 was transferred to platoon number 55.
She claimed she was abused, humiliated and beaten by senior Naxal functionaries at times and was often denied basic facilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days