Two policemen killed in Naxal firing in Dantewada
Raipur: Two policemen were killed on Wednesday and four others injured when a group of Maoists opened indiscriminate firing on a police van in Dantewada district of Chhattisgarh.
Additional Director General of Police (Naxal operations) Ram Niwas said here that outlaws attacked the police team while they were on a patrol in the Bacheli area during the weekly market, killing two personnel.
The policemen also fired in retaliation but the Naxalites managed to flee the spot, Niwas said.
The deceased -- identified as constable Mahavir Markole and homeguard jawan Jitendra Chaudhary -- succumbed to their wounds at a Dantewada hospital, he said.
Those injured include an assistant police inspector two jawans and the van driver. All have been hospitalised, he said.
Following the abduction of Sukma district Collector Alex Paul Menon, the Maoists had demanded a total halt on the anti-Naxal operations in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'