Vaishali Nagar bypolls peaceful, 58 percent polling recorded
Raipur: Fifty eight percent voting was recorded during bypolls for Vaishali Nagar Assembly seat in Durg district held on Saturday, an officer said.
An estimated 58 percent of polling was recorded during the bypolls, election officer Ram Singh Thakur said.
The counting of votes would be held on November 10, he said.
The elections were necessitated after former Vaishali Nagar BJP MLA Saroj Pande resigned following her election to Lok Sabha from Durg Parliamentary seat in April 2009 general elections.
The polling began with low note in the morning but picked up later in the day, Thakur said.
The polling went off peacefully and no violence was reported from any booth, he said.
Elaborate security arrangements were made during the polling with deployment of district police and Chhattisgarh Armed Security Forces, Thakur said.
A total of 15 candidates were in the fray but main fight was between BJP`s Jageshwar Sahu and Congress nominee Bhajan Singh Nirankari.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai