Vehicle rams into tree in Raipur, 15 killed
Raipur: Fifteen people were killed and 20 others were injured when a pick-up vehicle they were travelling in rammed into a road-side tree and overturned in Surguja district of Chhattisgarh on Tuesday.
"The incident took place around 11 AM in Luchkighat valley, located around 15 kms away from Ambikapur district headquarter on Ambikapur-Seetapur Road, when the victims were going to attend a marriage ceremony," Surguja Superintendent of Police P Sundarraj told PTI.
The pick-up vehicle ferrying around 40 people was heading towards Pratappur from Ambikapur. When it reached Luchkighat, the driver lost control over the vehicle and it ran into a roadside tree after which it overturned, he said.
"Fifteen people, including seven women, died in the mishap and twenty others were injured," he said.
Three injured children are said to be in a critical condition.
Soon after getting the news of the accident, a police team was sent to the spot, Sundarraj said.
The victims were later rushed to Ambikapur district hospital, he said adding that most of the deceased had sustained head injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Fire breaks out at Amritsar railway station; damages main server, other equipments
- Why Brexit is a harbinger of climate change?
- Bihar to use WhatsApp to repair bad roads
- Oops! People in Belarus are getting naked at work – See pics
- Gay, lesbian, bisexual don't come under third gender; give reservation to transgenders: SC to Centre