Vehicle rams into tree in Raipur, 15 killed
Raipur: Fifteen people were killed and 20 others were injured when a pick-up vehicle they were travelling in rammed into a road-side tree and overturned in Surguja district of Chhattisgarh on Tuesday.
"The incident took place around 11 AM in Luchkighat valley, located around 15 kms away from Ambikapur district headquarter on Ambikapur-Seetapur Road, when the victims were going to attend a marriage ceremony," Surguja Superintendent of Police P Sundarraj told PTI.
The pick-up vehicle ferrying around 40 people was heading towards Pratappur from Ambikapur. When it reached Luchkighat, the driver lost control over the vehicle and it ran into a roadside tree after which it overturned, he said.
"Fifteen people, including seven women, died in the mishap and twenty others were injured," he said.
Three injured children are said to be in a critical condition.
Soon after getting the news of the accident, a police team was sent to the spot, Sundarraj said.
The victims were later rushed to Ambikapur district hospital, he said adding that most of the deceased had sustained head injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi launches 'Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana' on Labour Day, calls himself no. 1 labourer of India
- La Liga 2015-16: Barcelona beat Betis to remain top, Atletico, Real keep up pressure
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump calls California protesters 'thugs, criminals'
- Arvind Kejriwal questions PM Narendra Modi's qualification, report claims he scored 62.3% in MA
- WATCH: When Virat Kohli applauded David Warner's 'helicopter' shot during SRH-RCB match