Vehicle rams into tree in Raipur, 15 killed
Raipur: Fifteen people were killed and 20 others were injured when a pick-up vehicle they were travelling in rammed into a road-side tree and overturned in Surguja district of Chhattisgarh on Tuesday.
"The incident took place around 11 AM in Luchkighat valley, located around 15 kms away from Ambikapur district headquarter on Ambikapur-Seetapur Road, when the victims were going to attend a marriage ceremony," Surguja Superintendent of Police P Sundarraj told PTI.
The pick-up vehicle ferrying around 40 people was heading towards Pratappur from Ambikapur. When it reached Luchkighat, the driver lost control over the vehicle and it ran into a roadside tree after which it overturned, he said.
"Fifteen people, including seven women, died in the mishap and twenty others were injured," he said.
Three injured children are said to be in a critical condition.
Soon after getting the news of the accident, a police team was sent to the spot, Sundarraj said.
The victims were later rushed to Ambikapur district hospital, he said adding that most of the deceased had sustained head injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured