Village panchayat orders boycott of rape victim`s family
Korba: A village panchayat in Korba district of Chhattisgarh has ordered boycott of a rape victim and her family, police said on Monday.
The alleged rape took place three months ago, and a local youth has been arrested by the police.
"It was alleged that the 19-year-old rape victim and her family, who live in Baredimuda village, were boycotted by the villagers on Sunday, following which police called a meeting to sort out the situation," Darri police station-in-charge SR Sonwani told a news agency.
However, the meeting failed to find solution, he said.
Akash Das (19), the accused, allegedly raped the girl after promising to marry her.
The village panchayat, at a meeting on Sunday, asked the victim`s family to withdraw the complaint. The victim`s family agreed, on the condition that he should marry the girl, Sonwani said.
The accused`s family, however, said the boy would marry her after he turns 21. When the girl`s family sought a written undertaking, the talks broke down.
The panchayat refused to back the girl`s family and announced boycott. Her mother has sought help from the district administration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves