Village panchayat orders boycott of rape victim`s family
Korba: A village panchayat in Korba district of Chhattisgarh has ordered boycott of a rape victim and her family, police said on Monday.
The alleged rape took place three months ago, and a local youth has been arrested by the police.
"It was alleged that the 19-year-old rape victim and her family, who live in Baredimuda village, were boycotted by the villagers on Sunday, following which police called a meeting to sort out the situation," Darri police station-in-charge SR Sonwani told a news agency.
However, the meeting failed to find solution, he said.
Akash Das (19), the accused, allegedly raped the girl after promising to marry her.
The village panchayat, at a meeting on Sunday, asked the victim`s family to withdraw the complaint. The victim`s family agreed, on the condition that he should marry the girl, Sonwani said.
The accused`s family, however, said the boy would marry her after he turns 21. When the girl`s family sought a written undertaking, the talks broke down.
The panchayat refused to back the girl`s family and announced boycott. Her mother has sought help from the district administration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city