Village panchayat orders boycott of rape victim`s family
Korba: A village panchayat in Korba district of Chhattisgarh has ordered boycott of a rape victim and her family, police said on Monday.
The alleged rape took place three months ago, and a local youth has been arrested by the police.
"It was alleged that the 19-year-old rape victim and her family, who live in Baredimuda village, were boycotted by the villagers on Sunday, following which police called a meeting to sort out the situation," Darri police station-in-charge SR Sonwani told a news agency.
However, the meeting failed to find solution, he said.
Akash Das (19), the accused, allegedly raped the girl after promising to marry her.
The village panchayat, at a meeting on Sunday, asked the victim`s family to withdraw the complaint. The victim`s family agreed, on the condition that he should marry the girl, Sonwani said.
The accused`s family, however, said the boy would marry her after he turns 21. When the girl`s family sought a written undertaking, the talks broke down.
The panchayat refused to back the girl`s family and announced boycott. Her mother has sought help from the district administration.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India