Villagers protesting land acquisition arrested
Raigarh (Chhattisgarh): Police used force to disperse agitated villagers opposing acquisition of their land for setting up a private power plant in Nariyara area in Jagir-Chapa district, officials said on Tuesday.
They said 83 protestors, including five women and two children, were arrested when they vandalised the under-construction 3600 MW power plant yesterday.
The arrested women and children, besides two ailing persons, were released on bail while the remaining were remanded in Bilaspur jail for seven days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dalits refuse to dispose of dead cattle, demand protection in Gujarat
- Silsila was trashed by media at time of release: Amitabh Bachchan
- Irrfan Khan wanted to make film on Mahasweta Devi's life
- Hard to digest! 90-year-old woman comes back to life at funeral, says she met 'Yamraj'
- Panasonic launches T44 lite smartphone at Rs 3,199