Villagers protesting land acquisition arrested
Raigarh (Chhattisgarh): Police used force to disperse agitated villagers opposing acquisition of their land for setting up a private power plant in Nariyara area in Jagir-Chapa district, officials said on Tuesday.
They said 83 protestors, including five women and two children, were arrested when they vandalised the under-construction 3600 MW power plant yesterday.
The arrested women and children, besides two ailing persons, were released on bail while the remaining were remanded in Bilaspur jail for seven days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway